There's no getting around it: if you want to get good at playing the ukulele or any other instrument, you'll need to practice. Fortunately, the Internet is awash in free uke lessons, like this one from Ukulele Live, which make the task not only easy but fun. This clip, in particular, demonstrates how to perform old-school jazzy introductions and outros on the uke.
The idea is based around a 4 chord progression: I, VIm, IV, V7. This is the progression that is used in "Surf" and many other songs. By themselves those chords sound pretty "Surf-ish", so they need to be jazzed out. To jazz things up, you will use substitution chords.
Substitution chords are chords that fit right over the top of the normal chord and add a different sound without disturbing the tonality of the main chord. For example, C6 can fit over C, Adim can fit over Am, Dm7 fits over F, and G7 stays the same. Any combination of chords that sound good will work, so experiment to find your favorite sounds.
The chords: C6 Adim F6 G7
The strum: DU - DU - DUX - UU
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades